Saturday 23 January 2010

Chapter 7 Texture and Relief Sampler

The sampler was great fun to do and I closed my eyes and randomised the little samples first to see if I could tell just by feel what processes I had done.  Then I arranged them so that the low , medium and high heights were not together. The textures I tried for were -   sharp, angular, soft, padded, yielding, firm, stiff, wobbly, furry, rough, smooth, furrowed, holey, floppy, hard and crunchy. Each square did contrast with the next with my eyes closed.

In rows from top left:-

1. darted to the middle from each side and each corner then the middle pushed up for stability.

2. Tucks stuffed with halved cocktail sticks and rolled with pointy ends up - ouch!

3. layered knife pleats

4. Square with circle gathering, softly stuffed with sheep fleece and bubble edged to another square.

5. Silk corded with heavy wool

6. Cross gathered to make little soft bubbles

7. Coarse grey net gathered  into a square with rough ends up

8. Shaped quilting with washers edged with coarse woollen yarn

9. Heavy linen sewn as single tucks and layered in log cabin fashion

10. Nylon organza tucked from each corner and base sewn to stabilise and produce hollows.

11. Fine tucks standing up like little furrows

12. Cotton scrim gathered over pipe cleaner and gently manipulated to produce soft folds.

13. Nylon organza corded with heavy woollen yarn and high tucked alternately to make a base with insubstantial floppy tucks.

14. Strips of cotton scrim finger corded and coiled.

15. Parrot peas in net pouch - has sound too!

16. Heavy linen tucked, tucks slit and scrubbed to make a furry surface.




3 comments:

ferinn said...

Thanks for your lovely comments.Your texture sampler could be framed and put on a wall.Have you seen Collette Wolffs book on Manipulated fabrics?

Hazel said...

I just got it for my birthday - it is fantastic - but she is so neat and I am trying desperately not to be!

Meg said...

Last time I looked at your blog you had just finished your panel and now here you are on Chapter 7 of the next module! I feel tired just thinking of how hard you must have worked recently!