Wednesday 25 November 2009

Chapter 9 a and b Stitchery and edges experiments


Had a go at hand and machine stitching on some of my paper samples.

1. From my research picture: tried to recreate the essence of the ancient script


2. Top - these are little pictograms - I left the ragged muslin around the blotchy paper for an archeological find look!

bottom - translating the very pictorial script and edged with an automatic stitch with altered length and width.


3. Used my f's and J's to create an ancient-looking tablet - (has a very modern pink plastic grid embedded!!)  I made a long memory string in the sewing machine to make the script - first time I've tried this.


4. Top - this was the plastic embedded grid that fell off - I tried to shadow the embossing with stitches and added a cut edge held down with machined script - it doesn't really work - and the edge is too big for the piece.

bottom - Hand stitching with big elongated F's - tried for a layered look with depth and I'm quite pleased with it.

5. Top - lines of lower case curly f's to look like paragraphs of printing.

bottom - A pattern from my research experiments with J - I sewed on a knitting tape to edge that I had discharged for a subtler look.


6. A selection of edgings


7. Used my embedded leaves for a pictogram effect and joined 4 pieces with an insertion stitch.









No comments: