Monday 2 November 2009

Chapter 4 Papermaking

This was my first attempt at papermaking.   The paper was a mixture of printer paper margins I had saved over some time, old tissue paper, kitchen roll and old envelopes.  My old food processor had been saved for this very operation.  It wasn't a great success. I realised why I got a new one as it would only work for a few goes and then it needed half an hour recovery time. In the waiting time I bashed the soaked paper within an inch of its life with a wooden spoon. 

I had planned to do it in the garden - but it rained - so I spread a big plastic sheet in the kitchen - which didn't stop water getting everywhere!  The cat litter tray was a little narrow and had to be filled to the brim in order to get my mould in.

The first picture is my first attempt. I saved it because I figured it couldn't get any worse. Couching the wet paper was most frustrating as it kept coming off in bits. I finally decided not to keep redoing and have 'arty' sheets instead. I was just getting the hang of things and I ran out of pulp.


I had more success with the second lot of pulp. This also was not without its difficulties as the food processor gave up the ghost after the first few whizzes. By the time I found a cheap blender the pulp was a bit whiffy but I added a bit of powdered cinnamon and it was OK.  The spicy smell does not scan, however.

These sheets are now spread in the greenhouse, summerhouse and living room and not drying very fast. One in the greenhouse was under a drip - so there are interesting holes in the sheet.






                 1.

    2  

                    3

    4    

                  5

    6  

                    7                   forgot to number the pictures again - sorry Sian - this is the order.

In 3 I embedded wood shavings in crude letter forms and 2 is the back of it. 5 and 7 have  dyed fleece embedded and a little colour added, 4 is the back of 5.  In 6 I tried letters cut from chapter 2 sheets. I expect they could all be improved with some stitching!







1 comment:

Susan D said...

Love your paper samples. The same thing happened to me I left pulp a bit too long. I tried adding a bit of perfume but the resulting paper was still a bit smelly so had to throw it out.