Thursday 26 November 2009

Chapter 10 book-type structures

I had a lot of fun with the book-making.  When I was dyeing material for my grids, I coloured some of my waste paper and envelopes so I would have some pretty paper to play with. Also used some of the computer generated papers and a few bits of my handmade paper as I do have a lot!!!


1 and 1a. Three of these are made from one sheet of paper, folded in different ways. Two little books made by folding into 16's and slitting the middle, the triangular book made using map folds.  The accordion book with forward and reverse cut outs was made by halving an A4 sheet and gluing into a strip then folding.


2 and 2a. On the left is a flag book where the flags move in opposite directions when the book is opened - not entirely successful. On the right is a star book which opens into a star structure with ties to keep the structure tight.  I like this one and will make a really pretty one for a present, I think.


3.  The round book, the long book and the media house book.

3a This is the front of the accordion book showing 5 different media - newspapers, books, videos, radios and televisions.

3b - The back view showing 4 well-tended gardens and one junkyard.


4 and 4a. The envelope book - inside is a little book made from an old envelope which got coloured when dyeing. I cut out a grid for a little more interest.  It is sewn in a classic manner down the fold.


5 and 5a  My friendship and joy book - I used one of my handmade sheets torn into pages, sewed the first knitting tape to join them and trapped the other thread and cord with letters made from pulp, thin stained wood and monoprinted heavy cotton.













No comments: