Tuesday 3 November 2009

Chapter 4 2nd attempt at paper making

Deep breath and second lot of pulp is ready to go.  I decided to tear coloured papers to colour the pulp as I didn't want just plain dyes in the papers - I'm glad as they were nicely flecky after the pieces were pulped. The new blender was heaven to use - I pulped it all in 15 minutes - it took 2 hours with the old one.  I 'd like to try with dyes though - dropping colours on to the sheets to get a mistier effect round the edges where the colors meet.

2,3, 4 and 5 are the backs and fronts of sheets made with uncoloured pulp with a few dabs of ink. I embedded string and pulled it out and embedded torn up leaves from the garden and then pulled the paper away after it was dry.


22 and 23 are views of the jute grid embedded and 24 is a woven grid I dabbed pulp on. There wasn't much left for this - so I am going to have another go with the remaining woven grids when I 've made more pulp, so I can dunk them.


18 and 25 are letters. One I formed out of pulp with my fingers and the other letters were formed on the grid and then squashed between the boards when draining.


16 and 17 are views of the piece with varied cords laid across and left to show at the edges as a fringes


11 this is the piece under the drip in the greenhouse which has shattered one edge - a pity as this was a sturdy piece which had couched beautifully.


20 and 21 Couldn't resist the leaves in the garden - left these as embossed shapes


6,7,8,9 and 10 are pieces made on a plastic grid using different arrangements of the coloured pulps 


12, 13, 14 and 15 show a piece I made on the mesh and then cut part circles with a cookie cutter - I tried different sheets underneath front and back to see the effect.





























26


and 27 are alternative papers. I made them by painting muslin with pva, sticking magazine scraps on, painting again and pushing tissue into the gaps.  Its very sturdy, though a little plasticky. That could be covered by stitching.



2 comments:

stitching in the sun said...

Hey Hazel,
these are GREAT paper samples. I particularly love your "few dabs of ink" sheets and the partial circles ones. And I'd waiting to see how your plastic papers develop. I'm happy you got a new blender, it was definitely worth it
Daniela

Susan D said...

Glad the new blender is working well. I bought a cheap hand blender and as long as I remember not to lift it out while still running I don't get too much of a mess. Now our kitchen refit is finished I can have another go.