Saturday 21 November 2009

Chapter 7 Even more playing - making grids

Again the very bright lime green wool I dyed and the lime plastic string seem to photo and scan as a greeny blue - maybe the computer can't do lime greens?


1.  This is my first attempt at making my own grid - a little messy and if you look closely there are some elongated F's in there.

2.  and 2a.  On and off the frame - I'm quite pleased with this one.


3. There is a lot more green in this than shows up - I stitched with two different violet threads as upper threads and a  green in the bobbin.


4. This was made on a round embroidery ring using fabric strips I dyed as the weft and bamboo yarn and dyed knitting ribbon as the warp.


5. Made on a take apart frame, so has a loopy fringe - it's a sampler where I tried out all sorts of needle weaving, wrapping and threading with a variety of wefts; fj can be seen in the upper right hand side.

6. Used cords and little folded squares of dyed muslin for this - sewed the grid and then skewed it by whipping a couple of the cords together.


8. This was done on Jute scrim - I buttonholed joining rings.


9. Upper - A grid of holes punched in some firm linen and threaded F's with dyed muslin  -  added a bit of depth with a fuzzy yarn sample.

Lower - I had some scraps of very thin wood which we use as kindling for the wood burner. They were stained and then I punched a grid and  threaded with a glittery thread - letters at the ends and a trapped cord in the same thread in the middle


10. These were media inspired - motherboard in dyed felt on the right and a telephone exchange board on the  left.


11. I cut a grid from dyed felt and wove dyed muslin through the middle row.  The bits I cut out I sandwiched in dissolvable and made a grid with a few overlayed automatic patterns.












No comments: