Monday 9 November 2009

Chapter 5 Playing with grids

For this chapter I tried a few different materials to make grids from.  I used a natural linen scrim, an aida and what I thought was an evenweave linen - though the grids show that it wasn't.

The natural scrim was quite dark so I dyed some of it after bleaching it to a lighter colour.  I tried bands in different formats and left one or two monocolour to see what would happen with texture only.

The evenweave was very difficult to withdraw threads from, after a couple of days of sore fingers, I decided the linen scrim was much more friendly!!

Where I just shifted the threads in patterns, I loved the effect. It is rather subtle - perhaps stronger colours would have given a stronger effect.

The loopy ones were fun.  The monocolour experiment was given the J treatment and the very fringy one had withdrawn threads sewn back as J's.  This was banded in violet and yellow green but the heavy looping seems to have almost obliterated the green.

In the experimental samples I tried various ways of stylising the letters and sometimes just went with what happened. In Exp 8 I was going for big statement capital F's - but it looks distressingly like a swastika.

The first is a piece I was just squaring up after dyeing and the fringing looked so lovely I had to take a photo before messing about with it.

Some of the pieces are destined to have more fun with in Chapter 6.



























No comments: