Tuesday 11 May 2010

Chapter 6 - design translations


A mixed bag of efforts in translating the designs from chapter 2.  It was more difficult than I thought it would be to keep the feel and subtlety of the paper designs.  I think I'll have to have another go after, hopefully,  learning from my mistakes,


a. Bubble wrap was used as the base layer over fabric and thread snippets.  This looked great but it was a pity that it all got covered up as the sample went from bad to worse with hardly any of the delicious bubbly background showing.

My backgrounds were too busy with shapes that interfered with the rhythm of the main repeating shape and the tonal variation was lacking - ho hum



b. Embellished felt as the background and machined silk on top - quite a nice, flirty look, but the paler ripples needed more interest.



c. Three layers contrasting straight and curvy shapes with a trapped fish feel about it. The machined top shapes are rather clumsy looking - perhaps the sample should have been bigger for better shapes and the fishy shapes - which were really foamy water shapes originally - as the second layer, not the top.



d. Tried to get the light behind with sparkly thread and lightly dyed background fabric but it looks a bit bland; not exciting enough to peep through and intrigue. Tone values wrong again - the top two layers should have been much darker.



e. This reminds me of the beach at Whitesands when the tide comes in fast from different directions and makes complicated wave patterns. I used two layers of stitched tissue for the soft background, the horizontals in stitched dyed cotton and the fine stripes in threads woven through.  I did try the fine stripes in cloth but it was really clumsy-looking.  


2 comments:

Meg said...

Hazel I think you are being too hard on yourself - your samples are lovely. I'm looking forward to doing this but I've got to do all the dyeing first!

ferinn said...

I like number 1,2 and 4 the best.I think perhaps 3 and 5 are too solid looking,but the colours in all of them are lovely.
I'll wait til Urchfont for the goodies.