Wednesday 16 June 2010

asesssment piece progress

The bubble fish

Tried to stitch the bubble wrap with the machine but the needle dragged and stuck so I stitched these by hand.  I used 505 on one side and laid my fillings, then put the second bubble wrap fish shape on the top and stitched around with a sparkly thread.


Fish with various fabric manipulations.

Top - orange-red silk gathered and stayed with greeny blue raw silk panels and a bluey-green edging in twisted silk waste.

Middle - peachy orange silk corded with deep orange perle, topped with couched raw silk waste.

Bottom - pin-tucked green silk with a variegated thick and thin yarn edging.

I've deliberately given them all long tails as when they are all stuffed into the net I want a bit of chaos to emerge to give the feeling of panic in the entrapment.




This is the support for the net so that it will lie fairly flat against the wall when hung. It's made from pelmet vilene and fish, coral and seaweed shapes are bonded to it. They are deliberately vague as it is just a background which will be covered by the stuffed fish when the net is attached.

This is the back of the vilene support. I used my random-dyed drop cloth cut and sewn into wave formations and attached to the front to give a smooth edge all round.

3 comments:

Meg said...

I love your fish Hazel. The bubble wrap is really effective.

Meg said...

It's just occured to me that your background piece is also fishy shaped!

ferinn said...

These look magnificent!