Tuesday 9 March 2010

Chapter 12 resolved sample in progress

My fingers are so sore from the hand stitching through not so friendly surfaces - much use of pliers to pull through, so I thought I'd let Sian have a look and comment while I rest awhile.

These are the reverses of the textured surfaces and window.  The tucked scrim may have some twining cords over the surface - still has edges to finish.  The Rhodes stitched square has a very fine enormous Rhodes stitch over the whole piece.


These are the textured pieces for the triangular construction, still needing some finishing work.


The three layer window under construction.


One of the single windows - yet to be framed - over hand stitched bottom piece.  I restricted myself to variations on Rhodes stitch and french knots throughout the resolved sample. 


Propped up one of the windows to show how it will be constructed.


This is a triple layer window with twin needled tucks on polyester sheer. The layers were cut with a soldering iron to make lots of little windows. two frames were made from plastic canvas and two of the sheers stitched to the frames leaving lots of ends for the edges, then the frames wre sewn together enclosing the third layer - its not quite finished - waiting for sore fingers to recover!

I propped it to show how see-through it was - unfortunately the light bounces off the sheer when photographed and it doesn't look so transparent as it actually is.



4 comments:

ferinn said...

Ouch!
Bet you wish you were still in Pembroke.It looks like a lot of work.I love the colours you've chosen.

Maggie said...

Thanks for your lovely comments. Can't wait to see yours finished, you always have such imaginative designs.

Maggie said...

Whoops!! think I sent my last comment to the wrong blog!! sorry, hope the fingers are better.

ferinn said...

I can't seem to get any pages further on than this even though I know you've posted more since.Blogger keeps telling me they don't exist!I've finally posted my wrap pictures,sorry you were disappointed.