Wednesday 3 February 2010

Chapter 10 stitch to translate

I did find the rubbings and the subsequent translating rather difficult.  The rubbings were hard to get decent unsmudged images and it took a while for me to see patterns in the ones I did get.  I tried not to look at the originals but just worked from the rubbing itself so I wasn't influenced by what I thought I should see based on the work before.

1. I made a rubbing on to the black cloth too and tried to leave a lot of it showing. My first idea was to use thorn stitch variations but it ended up being a very free cross stitch. I used very fine cotton threads and silk threads with some wrapping.


2. Some fine tulle gave the hazy look inside the little amoebas and I thought chain and detached chain would echo this. The amoebas are surrounded by a couched textured yarn held by a very fine cotton thread.


3. More couching of the main lines of the rubbing and free fly stitch layered for the background.




2 comments:

ferinn said...

I think you've done well.Rubbings are very difficult except on hard surfaces and as to translating into stitch......well!

Hazel said...

too much bleach and a bouncy attack!